Fix System Restore Failed and Did Not Complete Successfully with errors
If you are facing any problems with your Windows PC, you can try using System Restore option and roll back to an earlier working time and restore all your system files, program files, along with registry information.
However, in some cases, System Restore may not work properly and you may receive an error message saying “System Restore Did not complete successfully. Your computer’s system files and settings were not changed”. But don’t worry! There are a few quick things to try that may fix System Restore; you will get to fix an unspecified error occurred during System Restored with errors such as 0x80070091, 0x80070005, 0x8000ffff, 0x800423F3, 0x81000203, etc.
System Restore did not complete successfully error 0x80070091 in Windows 10
If you are a Windows 10 user and System Restore failed with an error 'System Restore did not complete successfully. An unspecified error occurred during System Restored. (0x80070091)', then here’s a quick fix…
- Boot into safe mode
- Open command Prompt as Admin
- Type: takeown /f "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /r /d Y and press Enter
- Type: icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%":(F) /t and press Enter. You will get a message: 'Successfully processed xxxxx files: Failed to process 0 files'
- Then again type: rd /s "C:\Program Files\Windows Apps" and press Enter, which will ask you to confirm with Yes. This will delete the folder
- Now Reboot your computer and check if the error is resolved!
System Restore did not complete successfully with error 0x80070005
If you are getting System Restore failed and did not complete successfully in Windows 10 with an unspecified error 0x80070005, follow these steps to fix the issue:
- Go to Start menu and type Services.msc, hit Enter
- Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy & Task Scheduler & Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service is Running and set on Automatic
- If the Status of System Restore Service is Not Started, Start it. Also, set it to Automatic if it is not
- Restart the PC and see whether the issue is fixed
System Restore did not complete successfully with the error 0x8000ffff in Windows 10/8/7
To fix an unspecified error occurred during System Restored 0x8000ffff in Windows 10/8/7, employ these steps:
- Click Start, and then type System Restore in the Start Search box
- Right-click System Restore, and then click Run as administrator
- In the System Restore dialog box, click Next
- Select a restore point, and then click Next
- In the Confirm your restore point window, click Finish
Fixing System Restore failed & did not complete successfully with other errors
When System Restore fails in Windows 10/8.1/8/7 with other error codes like 0x80070570, 0x800423F3, 0x81000203, 0x80070002, etc., you can try with one of the following fixes.
Fix #1. Put off the antivirus software
Most of the times, the reason for the error System Restore did not complete successfully is the Antivirus software’s interference with System Restore. Hence, it would be better if you disable it.
Fix #2. Verify System Protection settings
Verify if the System Protection settings are correct.
- Boot into Windows, Click Start
- Right-click on Computer, click Properties > System Protection
- Check if your hard disk has the Protection column value set to On. If the value of the Protection column is Off, select the hard disk and click Configure
Fix #3. Launch System Restore from Safe Mode
According to some users, running System Restore from Safe Mode is a possible way to bypass the above said error.
- Restart your computer and press F8 before the Windows logo appears
- Select Safe Mode and press Enter
- Once Windows is done loading, open System Restore and follow the wizard steps to continue
Fix #4. Run sfc to check and repair file system
One more reason for System Restore failed and did not complete successfully error is system file corruption. You can fix the issue using these steps:
- Boot into Windows, Click Start. Type command prompt in the search box to open Command Prompt
- Right-click on Command Prompt and click Run as administrator
- When Command Prompt has loaded, type: sfc /scannow and press Enter
Hope at least one of them is helpful!
Recovering lost data after failed System Restore
Although System Restore doesn’t affect your personal files, some users lose their data after failed System Restore. This usually happens due to accidentally choosing format option on all disks, messy partition table etc. while dealing with System Restore. Under such cases, male use of YupTools Hard Drive Recovery Software to recover lost files and data. This tool will be able to restore all lost documents and media files after system restore.
Steps to recover data after System Restore failure
- Download YupTools Hard Drive Recovery Tool on a healthy windows computer
- Install and connect the hard drive from where data has to be recovered to the software installed system
- Launch the tool and choose the option between Partition Recovery and Formatted/Reformatted Recovery option according to your data loss scenario
- From list, pick the drive from, which you want to restore data
- Entire list of scanned data will be shown
- Select your required files (if you wish, preview them)
- Save select files on new location
Other Popular Software
Recovering files from unallocated partition is easy and simple, opt YupTools Recover Hard Drive software and get files from unallocated partition in few simple steps.
RAW Files from formatted CF card recovery is possible with few simple steps using YupTools Recover Hard Drive App. It can also be used for other flash cards for recovering all types of files in few clicks.